Common Name: black oak
Scientific Name: Quercus velutina
Native/Naturalized: Native to Virginia
Virginia Champion: yes
Circumference: 288 in.
Height: 108 ft.
Crown: 137 ft.
Date Last Measured: 2016
Last Measured by: Byron Carmean and Gary Williamson
Date First Measured: 2006
Comments: Located on the Brandon Plantation along the James River. Brandon was originally a vast land grant to John Martin, companion of Captain John Smith, on his first voyage to America. The tract was known as Martin's Brandon. In 1637, merchants John Sadler and Richard Quiney and mariner William Barber, bought Martin's Brandon. They and their heirs farmed it successfully until 1720 when it was sold to Nathaniel Harrison. The house was built c. 1765 by Nathaniel Harrison II, for his son Benjamin Harrison.
Location of Tree
Tree is located in: Prince George
Land Owner: Brandon Plantation
GPS Coordinates: 37.27042, -76.99622
Directions: Tree sits among several farm buildings about 1 mile north of the main plantation house, near Brandon Point. Tree is in open area clearly visible from the end of Route 602 (Point Road).
Contact Name: Byron Carmean
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Address: 3616 Labrador Lane
3616 Labrador Ln., Suffolk, VA 23434
Contact Phone: 757-934-0588
Contact Info: Todd Price (Farm Manager), 804-712-9454
Original Nominator(s): Byron Carmean and Gary Williamson