Internship with the Virginia Big Tree Program
The Virginia Big Tree Program is seeking a paid student intern for summer 2017.
- Employed 12 weeks, 20 hours per week, at the hourly rate of $12
- The start and end date and the weekly schedule are very flexible
- Travel around the state and overnight trips will be required
- Mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle use or a state vehicle will be issued
- Lodging will be provided for overnight trips
Intern Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a work plan to recertify champion trees around Virginia that have not been measured in 10+ years
- Coordinate site visits around the state to recertify champion trees
- Collaborate with Big Tree Volunteers to recertify champion trees
- Maintain database and hardcopy records in the Virginia Big Tree Register
- Provide weekly progress reports to the Big Tree Coordinator
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Work productively with minimal supervision
- Identify tree species accurately
- Use tools and meters to measure physical dimensions of trees accurately
- Construct web maps and orienteer using a compass and/or GPS
- Navigate difficult terrain in remote locations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Residency in Blacksburg during the internship is preferred, but not required
Applicants must currently be a Virginia Tech student in the sophomore year or above. To apply, you must complete an online application, submit a résumé, and submit the names of two references.
To complete the online application, click here.
Applications and reference recommendation forms are due February 17, 2017 @ 5:00 PM.