Common Name: European beech
Scientific Name: Fagus sylvatica
Virginia Champion: yes
Circumference: 171 in.
Height: 80 ft.
Crown: 69 ft.
Date Last Measured: 2020
Last Measured by: Jared Manzo
Date First Measured: 2010
Comments: From Wikipedia: The Tuleyries is an ante-bellum estate near White Post, Virginia. The complex was built around 1833 by Colonel Joseph Tuley, Jr., who made the name a pun on his name and the Tuileries Palace. The house is a late Federal style mansion with a domed entrance hall. The house was sold by the Tuley family to Colonel Upton L. Boyce in 1866. In 1903 the property was acquired by Graham F. Blandy, who left over two-thirds of the land to the University of Virginia on his death in 1926. That land is now known as the Blandy Experimental Farm and The Virginia State Arboretum. The remaining property and house remained in the Blandy family. As well as twenty acres of lawn and garden the property includes a further three hundred and eighty six acres of forest and farm. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
2020 Update: Tree is in good condition. Trunk circumference listed here was measured at 4.5' above ground. Also measured the circumference at 3' which is the slimmest part of the trunk overall, and measured 162". Both measurements differ from previous measurement of 180" circumference.
Location of Tree
Tree is located in: Clarke
Land Owner: Elsie W. Thompson and Wilson Orme
GPS Coordinates: 39.06491, -78.07014
Directions: At Tuleyries, the estate next to Blandy State Arboretum, in side yard next to other copper beech. Near this address: 1266 Westfield Farm Ln, White Post, VA 22663. The tree is southwest of mansion.
Owner Address: PO Box A
White Post, VA 22663
Contact Name: Byron Carmean
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 757-934-0588
Contact Info: Marcel Boo, Box A, White Post, VA 22663, firstname.lastname@example.org. Jared Manzo contact info on file.
Original Nominator(s): Byron Carmean, Gary Williamson, and Jeff Kirwan